Monday, June 6, 2011

April 18: Deridder, La – Crowley, La (85mi)

The wind was from the south but a good part of the ride was in a southeast direction. The day was uneventful and I got to Eunice, my planned stop, in the late afternoon. I stopped for food and was trying to figure out where to stay.
I follow the weather pretty closely since it plays a huge part in how far I ride and the next day was supposed to be quite windy from the south. A good part of my ride the next day was riding right into it so I rode south out of town and set up camp next to the tree line. 
First it was hot and humid; it was fine if I could keep part of my body exposed outside the sleeping bag. Second, that wasn’t going to happen. The mosquitoes were pretty brutal. So I tried tucking myself inside the bag but I just started dripping sweat. Finally, the skies threatened to open up and it started to sprinkle a bit. It was around 9:30 when I got my bike repacked and I was hitting the road to pedal the next 20 miles to Crowley. Forget camping, I was getting a hotel. The ride was a guessing game; guess where the rumble strips are, guess if that was a dead armadillo or flat turtle I just bumped over, guess where the shoulder ends and the gravel starts and guess where the potholes and road debris are. I don’t have a headlight on the bike, just a flashing red tail light. The passing traffic lit the way for a brief moment and I used that light to see what the road ahead looked like and based my decisions off that. It took about 90 minutes to make the dash further south and by the time I got there, I was soaked in sweat, humidity and rain sprinkles. I didn’t mind the ride because it meant that tomorrow I would have 20 less miles to ride the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I don't like skeeters but they sure do like me..... Don't have a headlight? I thought that was a law hmmmm. Glad you made it to the next town and got a room. That means A/C lol
    always, luvy

    ReplyDelete