Sunday, February 27, 2011

Its feeling real now...

Yea, first post...so since its the first, I have to spin everyone up on what's going on. I am biking across America beginning March 14th. I'm starting at Del Mar Beach and finishing at Emerald Isle, North Carolina. Initially this trip was to accomplish a dream of mine but after some thought I deemed it appropriate to dedicate my ride to something larger than myself.
 Being prior military, I felt that I should honor some part of what I once was, so I am dedicating my ride to all fallen service members and their families, from any conflict and any generation. The plan is to fly an American flag from the back of my bike and I encourage all veterans, family members or friends who have lost someone who served under those colors, to sign that individuals name on the flag and I will ride in that persons memory.

This isn't any ordinary flag either. This flag has some personal history to me. I purchased the flag for my deployment to Iraq in 2008 and I carried this flag with me on every mission I conducted. When I returned to Okinawa, Japan, the flag stayed with me and in 2009 I brought it back stateside to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. In 2010 I was deployed again, this time to Afghanistan. This flag is my good luck charm to say the least. I carried the flag with me on every mission. Each time the flag and I left the wire, our truck went untouched. Except on July 14th, I forgot the flag in my tent. That day we hit 2 IEDs in 6 hours. Luckily we all escaped injury but that could have been alot different for me if circumstances were slightly different.

So, i'm currently in the process of getting everything I will need together for the ride. I am highly anticipating this experience and wondering what the next couple months will hold for me on my ride...

 The Bike I am riding, the Specialized Sirrus Elite


This is the flag I am taking. This picture was taken in Afghanistan with my truck team. From the left is Troy Trudeau, myself and Tyler Ledford.

28 comments:

  1. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you out this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Levi! This is great, hope to see you in our new place!

    -meriel

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! haha i can honestly say i thought you first meant you were gonna bike across the states with like a motorcycle, but when i saw you were actually BIKING across, wow. i wish you the best of luck for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So inspiring Levi... best of luck on your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Levi!! It'll be fun to keep tabs on where you are and how you are doing via this blog. Be safe and have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Levi- This is such an awesome deal you've got going!! Good luck and I'm excited to hear all about this adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Levi, how exciting! I wish you all the best as you accomplish yet another dream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting for you, Levi! Do you have a plan of how long it will take,or are you just taking your time & enjoying the country along the way? Enjoy the time and welcome to stop in, if Mn is on the map!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds beyond cool. I hope Minnesota is in your trip. I have friends deployed right now, so I know that it's important. GO FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Like it man, wish I could go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck, Levi!!
    JohnBuffyGage

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome dedication! Best of luck to you on your journey! Don't forget a camera! :)

    Sara Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  13. sherriwaaraniemiMarch 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM

    thats awesome :D you better take pictures as you go! and excited to read your adventures on the blog, and i dont doubt you will have them!!! just take care of urself and return home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. levi, i cant wait tosee you once you hit north carolina. you have no idea.i miss you dearly. go fourth and accomplish your dreams bbydoll. be safe and if you need anything on your way you have my number :) im so proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oorah brother. You will always be Cpl Aho to me since that's how I last knew you. You truly are a motivation for me to do everything I want to in my life. I hope you see the things about this country that people have forgotten driving down the interstate at 70 mph.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Samantha JohnsonMarch 3, 2011 at 7:14 AM

    Levi you are truly an inspiration! I will pray for you and hope you have a safe journey across the states. The cause you are doing it for is one of the best and I couldnt think of a better man for the job. Have fun and be safe and we will be rootin you on here in az. Gods peace, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is stellar- you are the Man for doing this for those who fight for this country. Keep up that superstar attitude Levi like you always have had and you'll go past this bike ride and so far in life! It never ceases to amaze me to see you and others taking what life gives you and just making it happen anyways:) All my best to you- Was great talking to you today!- the trip is around the corner. :) Gp- PKR

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck Levi, best wishes & prayers for you Bro., Safe journey, and NO FLATS ?? God Bless.
    From over the "pond" in Northern Ireland.
    SEMPER FI !!!
    HOOOORAGH !!!!
    Faugh-A-Ballagh !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing you the best on your journey. Would be fun to fly down and see you on your journey. How many people are going with you or is this solo?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish you would come closer to the SC lowcountry. I wish you luck on your journey. This is a wonderful thing that you are doing. My brother, SFC John H. Jarrell was KIA in Afghanistan, July 15, 2010.
    Lisa Winn

    ReplyDelete
  21. good luck Levi on the next leg of your journey...I love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Levi, Thank you for your service and welcome home! I am proud of you and your accomplishments and hope that your ride across America is both memorable and hassle free. I hope my schedule will allow me to meet you when you are crossing Mississippi. Stay focused on your goal and don't forget to check your 6, 9, and 3 when crossing intersections.

    Mike Cormier USN Ret. Madison, MS

    ReplyDelete
  23. God Bless and Keep you safe on your Journey. Keep wearing a Smile........

    JudiRose Long York, PA

    ReplyDelete
  24. May the LORD Bless and watch over you and supply you needs Levi.

    junglejim

    ReplyDelete
  25. that is so awesome how you are doing this.. my husband is deployed for his 2nd tour in iraq.. if you come through harris county ga i hope to see you so i can sign his name :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome, i'm glad i found your blog...you are an inspiration!
    Beachangel

    ReplyDelete
  27. lol well this is about the 5th time I've read this one. Even though the ride is over... its still new to me and I look forward to catching up thru your blogs hun. You are such a special man. Thank you for doing this and I'm so proud of you!

    always, luvy

    ReplyDelete